A Beijing lawyer has sought an apology from a television station for erroneously showing his picture and describing him as the man who allegedly kept six women as sex slaves
Shangdong Television used the picture of Wang Jin, of Beijing City Linkzone Law Firm, in a news programme about the sex slave scandal last Friday, claiming it was that of suspect Li Hao, Shanghai Daily reported.
The video was later posted online. It appeared in the first report on the scandal on search engine Baidu.com.
Wang said: “I received numerous calls from friends and relatives asking me whether I had any relationship with the case and the suspect.”
The lawyer has asked the station to apologise on the same programme and admit its mistake, since his life and work have been seriously affected due to it.
An official at the station said the case was being investigated and it would respond soon.
Li Hao, a former official of the Bureau of Quality and Technical Supervision in Luoyang, Henan province, allegedly kept six women as sex slaves for two years in a dungeon, killing two of them. He is accused of forcing them into prostitution and featuring them in pornographic videos put on the Internet for profit.
Police Disclose Details in Sex Slavery Scandal
Police in central China on Wednesday disclosed details in a “sex slave” case, saying Li Hao, the man who held six women as sex slaves in a dungeon for two years and killed two of them, claimed his motive was to make money through webcam prostitution.
Li, a retired firefighter, has been arrested and is facing charges of murder, rape and illegal detention, police in the city of Luoyang, Henan Province, said in a statement.
The 34-year-old man, who is married and has an eight-month-old son, told police his motive was to make money by forcing the women to strip and chat with customers via webcams.
Li, who worked for Luoyang’s technological supervision bureau before being detained on September 6, is accused of killing and burying two of the six women, who he kidnapped from karaoke bars, hair salons and a massage shop, in the dungeon he dug below his basement.
The four women rescued from the dungeon have also been detained for allegedly helping Li torture a woman to death, said the statement.
Li bought the basement in 2008. He started digging in the basement in August 2009. He dug at night and carried away the soil in nylon bags before dawn.
The room the women were kept in only covers four square meters and Li put books and a laptop without Internet access there for them to use kill time, police said.
Li ran his webcam chat business from his basement.
Police said Li repeatedly raped the women, who were held for two to 21 months.
Police raided the basement on Sept. 3 on a tip off from relatives of one of the women who managed to escape.
Last week, the police chief of Luoyang apologized for failing to detect the crime earlier and suspended the work of four police in relation to the case.