❤ Sharing Folkworthy Stuffs ❤
3 Comments Vintage
The Anhalter Bahnhof was one of six Terminus stations in Berlin. It was opened in Juli 1841 by the Royal Prussian State Railways (K.P.St.E.) and quickly became one of Berlins most important railway stations. Like much of the city, it was severely damaged in World War II, and finally closed for traffic in 1952, when the GDR-owned Deutsche Reichsbahn rerouted all railway traffic between Berlin and places in the GDR avoiding the West Berlin area. The station’s name lives on in the Berlin S-Bahn station of the same name, opened in October 1939 as part of the North-South S-Bahn link. Today, only some facades remain and most of the former tracks are overgrown.
Its a shame that so much great architecture was destroyed in Europe during WW2.
Many amazing buildings and qaurters in Germany were demolished, although they were intact or just had little damage. The purpose was to make cities car friendly.
A picture of this very site today: