“Only the disciplined are truly free. The undisciplined are slaves to moods, appetites, and passions.”
– Stephen Covey
Born: October 24, 1932, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Died: July 16, 2012, Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
- Start with the end in mind.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
- Live out of your imagination, not your history.
- As quoted in Wake-up Calls : You Don’t Have to Sleepwalk through your Life, Love, or Career! (1992) by Eric Allenbaugh, p. 65
- We don’t invent our missions, we detect them.
- As quoted in What Matters Most : The Power of Living Your Values (2001) by Hyrum W. Smith , p. 111
- Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out.
- As quoted in Teaching Sport and Physical Activity : Insights on the Road to Excellence (2003) Paul G. Schempp, p. 79
- Courage is not the absence of fear but the awareness that something else is more important.
- Foreword to Prisoners of our Thoughts : Viktor Frankl’s Principles at Work (2004), by Alex Pattakos, p. x
- This statement has also been attributed to James Neil Hollingsworth (AKA: Ambrose Redmoon) in an article entitled “No Peaceful Warriors!” for Gnosis Magazine #21, in 1991.