❤ Sharing Folkworthy Stuffs ❤
5 Comments | Vintage
It was probably more like 15:50, or even a little before, that that picture was taken: that’s how fast it spread: it was first detected at 15:40.
This was a fire in one of the stands of Bradford City Football Club’s ‘Valley Parade’ stadium, that began as what seemed to be a trivial fire that someone would probably just put out in a trice, clearly visible in live broadcasts of the match, with the play continuing: but it escalated at a phenomenal rate, bringing play to a halt; & within minutes people were desperately pouring out of the stand onto the pitch … there were 2½ thousand in there.
There were 56 fatalities in this fire: mainly persons who made a bad choice about which way to flee from it: directly onto the pitch was evidently best.
Here is the exact footage of what actually appeared live broadcast on television. It could be found quite disturbing.
I remember watching that one the day it happened. I still can’t reconcile the shock I felt at the time and watching this video brings it right back like it was yesterday.
Fire warden training at work started with showing this video . It’s very effective at showing how quickly fire can spread.
I know the grandchildren of a couple of people who died. Very sad. When I worked at Bradford and Bingley head office 10+years ago we always held a two minute silence on the anniversary.
Watched a documentary on this recently, the cause was actually a dropped cigarette. It’s v interesting to look back at how the blame culture didn’t exist back then the way the California fires from last year was majority about crucifying someone. Here there wasn’t even a charge brought. Just how they felt sad for him carrying the weight of guilt.